Friday, August 28, 2009

How it Started

It was a hot, lazy summer morning in August. My junior year of college was just about to start... just one more weekend of summer. (Why didn't I think of starting this at the beginning of summer?!) I thought of some of my younger friends who had just graduated high school, and how they were entering the unknown. I remembered how I felt, and how glad I was to have someone I knew at the same college that I was attending to show me the ropes. I remembered how confusing the whole process had been for me; decisions about what major, schools, complications with applying and the general lack of help that I found in my area. My high school didn't have a college counselor. We had a guidance counselor who took care of sending transcripts and that was about it.

Fast forward two years.  It honestly feels like it has been going at fast forward speed. I'm now in the Honors Program at University of Maryland Eastern Shore. For community service (a stipulation of my scholarship) I tutored high school kids in Geometry and helped with Art shows from my old high school. I found that when I worked with the high school students they didn't care what I was teaching them... what they really wanted to know was how to get into college, find necessary funds and what classes were like. So after a few years of feeling like my community service was going to waste, I decided to start this. A way to tell all the potential college students just how to get to the next step in their life as painlessly as possible.

Please feel free to ask any questions or share your feelings on what I post. People looking to get into college deserve all sides of the story, and I realize the best way to do this is to encourage commenting!

I hope this blog helps students and parents become a little less confused about the whole process of applying and starting college!

No comments:

Post a Comment